Owning a motorcycle can bring a lot of joy to your life. It’s a fun way to travel and a cool toy to show off, especially to a passenger. Here are some tips for keeping a passenger safe on your motorcycle.
1. Take a safety course
- Many driving instructing companies offer courses on motorcycle safety.
- These cover all kinds of motorcycle issues to help you become a safe driver. One is how to protect a passenger who is riding with you.
- You should also start by practicing riding with a passenger at slow speeds in low-traffic areas.
2. Follow the guidelines
- Most motorcycle driving permits don’t allow you to travel with a passenger on your bike. You usually need a full motorcycle license in order to do so.
- Learn what the local rules and restrictions are in your city. Be sure that you’re following the law at all times.
- Make sure that you have a motorcycle that’s equipped to carry more than one person. You need a seat big enough for two and extra foot pegs.
3. Educate the passenger
- The passenger should be informed of motorcycle safety in order to keep themselves safe.
- Passengers must be tall enough to reach the footrests. Feet must stay on the footrests at all times.
- Legs should never touch the muffler as it gets very hot.
- Everyone should always wear a helmet, jacket and other protective gear that covers their skin.
- Passengers must hold onto the driver’s waist or grab the passenger handholds if there are any.
4. Drive carefully
- You should always drive carefully on your motorcycle, but exercise extra caution when you’re travelling with a passenger.
- You should allow more time and space for passing.
- Be extra cautious when turning. The weight will be distributed differently on your motorcycle, so you’ll want to get familiar with how your bike handles with an extra person.
- Brake slowly so that your passenger isn’t thrown against you. The rear brake will be stronger with extra weight on it.
Riding a motorcycle with an extra passenger means that it’s your responsibility to educate them and yourself about safety precautions. It will keep you both safe you so can enjoy the ride.