While most stings and bites are mostly harmless. once in a while, an insect or spider bite can be serious. Here are some ways you can tell if a bite or sting is poisonous or not.
1. Bee and wasp stings
- For most people, getting stung by a bee or wasp is painful, but not serious. The area where you were bitten will probably turn a little red and swollen and you won’t have any other symptoms.
- However, for those who have an allergy, bee and wasp stings can be very serious. If your reactions include wheezing, shortness of breath, rapid heartbeat or swelling anywhere around the face, throat or tongue, it’s important to get to the hospital immediately where they may need to give you an epinephrine injection.
2. Tick bites
- Tick bites can also be harmless and many just itch for a short period. However, some ticks carry Lyme disease, which can cause severe problems if left untreated.
- Examine your body for ticks any time you have been outdoors in a wooded area.
- If you have a tick bite and it starts to swell or to develop a circular red rash around it, it’s best to get treated by a doctor.
3. Spider bites
- Almost all spiders are poisonous, yet most of them fortunately don’t have fangs big enough to penetrate our skin. Many brown recluse bites can be totally harmless.
- However, some brown recluse and black widow spiders can be poisonous and make people ill. If you notice swelling and scarring from the bite as well as chills, fever, pain or nausea, it’s best to go to the emergency room right away.
- The black widow spider can cause similar symptoms that often lead to muscle pains and abdominal pains.
- If you suspect you’ve been bitten by a black widow, keep an ice pack on the bite and quickly go to the emergency room.