From summer sun and winter air, to heat styling tools and sprays, it’s a wonder our strands are still hanging in there. If you don’t have the time or cash for a salon treatment, here’s how to make your own hair mask with ingredients you probably already have.
Sometimes the best thing for your parched strands is an all-natural solution. This DIY recipe uses ingredients you may already have on hand: an avocado, honey and olive oil. This mixture works well for all most hair types, including thick, textured and rebellious locks.
How does this treatment work?
- Avocado is loaded with healthy fats and vitamins, which give straw-like hair the moisture it so desperately needs.
- Mix in honey and you’ve added a natural humectant to lock in moisture. Honey contains nutrients that treat the dryness of your hair but also help it to grow and add shine.
- Lastly, olive oil is a great conditioner, and hydrated strands are stronger and less prone to breakage.
How to get started
Mix these items in a bowl using a spoon or mixer until well-blended and smooth:
- 1 avocado with the pit and skin removed
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 tablespoons of honey
How to apply it
- Wet your hair and towel dry it so it is damp, but not dripping.
- Apply the hair mask to your strands liberally, paying special attention to the ends. Cover your entire head with the mixture.
- Clip up your hair and place a shower cap over your scalp while you allow the mask to penetrate the hair.
- Apply heat to your hair with a blow dryer for 15 minutes. Or sit in the sun for half an hour. The heat will help the treatment set into your strands.
- Wash your hair out using shampoo and conditioner and style as usual. You may have to wash more than once to thoroughly wash out the mixture.
You’ll instantly notice softer, smoother hair. For optimal results, use this recipe on your locks once or twice a month, depending on how damaged your hair is. Talk to your stylist to to learn more about what you can do to keep your mane from further damage.