The right perfume complements personality, mood and style. Some women prefer to stick with one signature perfume brand, while others change fragrances for different occasions. Fragrance is a very personal choice, so it’s important to find a perfume scent that makes you feel good and matches your style.
Types of women’s perfume
- Women’s perfume comes in different strengths. The more perfume oil, the stronger the fragrance.
- Eau de cologne typically contains four to seven per cent perfume oil mixed with alcohol. It’s light and refreshing, which makes it a great option for the summer months.
- Eau de toilette contains more fragrance oil than cologne (about eight to 15 per cent), and its scent usually lasts for a few hours.
- Eau de parfumhas a higher percentage of perfume oil (roughly 15-18 per cent) and lasts longer, but is also generally more expensive than eau de cologne and eau de toilette.
- Perfume is 15 to 30 per cent perfume oil mixed with alcohol, making it the purest and priciest fragrance option.
- Body mist is light, airy and affordable as it doesn’t contain much perfume oil.
Common fragrance types
With so many perfumes for women to choose from, it’s helpful to know the basic scent categories. Women tend to stick to certain “smell families,” often because they evoke happy memories. Although each perfume is made up of several ingredients, one of these tones generally dominates:
- Floral: These perfumes can evoke one flower, like rose or gardenia, or can encompass a bouquet of floral notes
- Fruity: A fresh and youthful citrus scent, well-suited to summer days
- Oriental: Musky, rich or spicy scents are a good complement for a night on the town
- Woodsy: Earthy scents are fresh and outdoorsy
- Oceanic: Sun, sand and salty air is like the beach in a bottle
Factors to consider when buying women’s perfume
- Start off by making a list of your favourite smells. Whether it’s the fresh scent of clean laundry or the woodsy smell of a campfire, making note of everyday smells that make you happy will help you find the right fragrance.
- Choose something that complements your personality. If you’re strictly an outdoor girl, opt for something fresh and clean. If you’re all about the glamour, go for something spicy or musky.
- Know how much you’re willing to spend before you head to the perfume counter.
- Make sure to test. Perfume often smells different after you’ve been wearing it for a couple of hours, so ask for samples and try them out at home before you commit.
- Don’t try more than three scents at once because your nose may become desensitized.
- Perfume collections aren’t just about perfume. Scented body lotions are also an option.
Perfume doesn’t smell the same on everyone. With so many fragrances to choose from, it doesn’t hurt to ask for a little help. When visiting a perfume store or fragrance counter, let an expert help you sort out your signature scent.