This sheet cake is a fresh, delectable dessert that will cost you half the price of what’s found in the store. When baked at home from scratch, a celebratory cake much more flavour and texture than any cake mix bought pre-packaged.
What you need:
- 625 g (2 1/2 c) sifted cake flour
- 15 ml (3 tsp) baking powder
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) salt
- 150 g (2/3 c) butter or margarine, at room temperature
- 350 g (1 1/2 c) granulated sugar
- 5 ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 2 ml (1/2 tsp) almond extract
- 175 ml (3/4 c) milk
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F). Grease and flour a 33 x 23 x 5-centimetre (13 x 9 x 2-inch) baking pan.
- In a small bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. In a large bowl, using an electric mixer at moderately high speed, beat the butter or margarine until it is light.
- Gradually add 275 grams (1 1/4 cups) of the sugar, beating constantly until the mixture is fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to low, and beat in the vanilla and almond extracts. Add the flour mixture to the bowl, alternating with the milk, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, and adding about one third of the ingredients at a time.
- In a medium bowl with the electric mixer with clean beaters attached, beat the egg whites until they are frothy. Begin adding the remaining 50 grams (1/4 cup) of sugar, a little at a time, until the mixture forms soft peaks. Fold the egg-white mixture into the batter just until the ingredients are blended and no white streaks remain.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and, using a spatula, smooth the top. Bake until the cake is lightly browned and springs back when lightly touched; this should take between 25 and 30 minutes. Remove the pan to a wire rack and let stand for five minutes. Frost as desired.