Is any other bread more satisfying than a slice of multigrain? In this recipe, whole wheat flour, rye flour, stone-ground cornmeal, wheat bran, wheat germ and buttermilk form a hearty, wholesome bread your whole family will want at every meal.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Baking time: 45 to 50 minutes
Makes: 1 loaf
- 10 ml (2 tsp.) sugar
- 125 ml (1/2 c.) lukewarm water (45°C/113°F)
- 2 packets (8 g or 1/4 oz.) active dry yeast
- 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 250 g (1 c.) whole wheat flour
- 250 g (1 c.) rye flour
- 75 g (1/3 c.) sifted stone-ground yellow or white cornmeal
- 50 g (1/4 c.) wheat bran
- 50 g (1/4 c.) wheat germ, plain, toasted or honey crunch
- 250 ml (1 c.) buttermilk
- 45 ml (3 tbsp.) butter, melted
- 7 ml (1 1/2 tsp.) salt
- In a large bowl combine the sugar, water and yeast. Stir until the solids are dissolved. Let stand until the mixture is bubbly, about 10 minutes.
- In another large bowl combine 275 grams (1 1/4 cups) of the all-purpose flour, the whole wheat and rye flours, cornmeal, wheat bran and wheat germ.
- In a small pot over low heat combine the buttermilk, butter and salt. Cook until the mixture is lukewarm.
- Pour the buttermilk mixture into the yeast mixture. Using a wooden spoon or an electric mixer with the dough-hook attached, beat at moderate speed, adding the flour mixture 250 grams (one cup) at a time, until the dough is soft but manageable. Next, beat in the remaining 50 grams (1/4 cup) of all-purpose flour, if needed, to reach the desired consistency. Continue to beat until the dough is smooth and elastic, seven to eight minutes. If mixing by hand, knead on a floured work surface for eight to 10 minutes.
- Butter a five-Litre (20 cup) bowl well. Shape the dough into a ball and place the ball in the prepared bowl, turning it until the dough surface is completely coated. Cover the bowl with a cloth and set in a warm, draft-free place until the dough is doubled in size, 1 1/2 to two hours.
- Lightly grease a 23 x 12 x 7.5-centimetre (nine x five x three-inch) loaf pan; lightly flour a work surface. Punch down the dough and turn out onto the work surface. Knead gently for two minutes. Shape the dough into a loaf, place it in the prepared pan, cover and let rise until doubled in size, about one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C (375°F). Bake until the loaf is golden brown and sounds hollow when tapped, 40 to 45 minutes. Move the pan to a wire rack and let the bread cool for 10 minutes.
- Use a knife to loosen the edges of the bread from the sides of the pan, turn out the bread, and then set it on the wire rack to cool completely.