Discover hairstyles that show off your features to advantage and give high definition to your look. To get the best hairstyle possible, it’s important to take into account the texture of your hair and the shape of your face.
Getting a cut suited to your face
Even the most competent hairdresser can’t make you look good with a cut that just isn’t suited to your face.
1. Round face
- If you have a round face and straight hair, shoulder length hair with some light layering lengthens facial features, while full bangs highlight the cheekbones.
- If your hair is more wavy or curly, hairstyles that fall from the middle of the neck to half way down the back look great if they include some long layering.
A deep side part, starting beyond the outer extremity of the eyebrow arch, enhances bone structure, while a diagonal part lightens any heaviness on both sides and lengthens the face.
2. Square face
Square-shaped faces are enhanced by shoulder-length hairstyles, with pronounced layering at the chin to soften the jaw.
- A messy side part minimizes a wide forehead, while shoulder length hair, combined with longer strands cut at angles from the ears down, is flattering for wavy or curly hair. Add a few layered strands if you want to cover your forehead.
- You love having short hair? Cut your hair to the jaw line, keeping an angled part on the side; keep in mind that asymmetric cuts add width to your face.
3. Heart-shaped face
- A pixie haircut enhances the eyes and cheekbones of a heart-shaped face.
- If you prefer long hair, opt for a long bob with light layering.
- For wavy or curly hair, go for a length just above the shoulders. Is your hair really curly? Try chin length hair, which adds roundness to the jaw.
4. Oval face
Just about everything flatters an oval face.
- For those wanting to keep their hair long, experts recommend layering that starts below eye level in order to give a slightly rounder look to the face. To be avoided: long hair without layering, which can weigh down the face.
- If your hair is slightly curly, opt for a shoulder-length cut and a side part, or maybe even go all out with a super short cut to balance out all your facial features.
- Another suggestion for a fantastic look: layering around the ears and more length on the top.