Love the smell of fresh-baked bread in your house? If so, try baking your own rye bread. Homemade rye bread is a delicious alternative to wheat based bread. Check out this simple recipe:
Preparing to bake
This bread is based on rye flour, which makes it suitable for people who cannot tolerate wheat in their diet. Rye flour is usually available from specialty food shops and from some supermarkets.
- 1.5 kg (6 c) rye flour
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) margarine or vegetable oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) salt30 ml (2 tbsp) compressed yeast (or 2 packets of dried yeast)
- 800-1000 ml (3 1/4-4 c) tepid water (variable)
- 5 ml (1 tsp) honey
- 5 ml (1 tsp) lemon juice
Baking your own rye bread
- Dissolve the yeast in 50 millilitres (1/4 cup) of tepid water.
- Mix the honey and lemon juice with another 50 millilitres (1/4 cup) of water.
- Place the dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and rub in margarine or salad oil. Add yeast and honey mixtures and the remainder of the water, mixing with a knife to the consistency of scone dough.
- Place the dough on a board sprinkled with rye flour and knead for three minutes. Cover with a piece of plastic and allow it to rest for about 10 minutes.
- Cut off two-thirds of the dough, shape into a loaf and place it in a well-greased 20 x 10 x 8 centimetre (8 x 6 x 3 inch) loaf pan. Shape the remaining third into a round loaf and place on a greased oven tray.
- Cover with a piece of plastic cling wrap and leave the loaves to rise in a warm place for 15 to 30 minutes, or until the loaf nearly fills the pan.
- Place on an oven tray and cover with another oven tray to form a lid. Bake at 230°C (446°F). Remove the lid after 30 minutes and bake for five more minutes.
- Bake the round loaf for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Knead 75 grams (1/3 cup) of mixed dried fruit into the smaller piece of dough. Shape the dough into a round loaf and bake on a greased oven tray.
- If rye meal is available, substitute 250 grams (one cup) meal for 250 grams (one cup) rye flour.
It’s as simple as that! Now you can have your kitchen smelling like fresh-baked bread in no time!