Want hair shining with good health that turns heads? No more dry and damaged hair! The following three recipes will help you get back your hair’s strength and shine.
1. Repairing hot oil with rosemary
The molecular structure of apricot kernel oil allows it to penetrate the hair shaft to nourish, strengthen, protect and repair. Your damaged hair will shine again.
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) apricot kernel oil
- 20 drops of rosemary essential oil
- Mix the two oils.
- Place a towel around your shoulders.
- Massage in the oil, starting with the ends and working back up towards the roots.
- Your hair should be completely covered in oil.
- Put on a shower cap.
- Heat another towel and wrap it around the shower cap.
- Leave it to cool.
- Shampoo your hair, and to finish, rince your hair with a mixture of cider vinegar and luke warm water.
- Leave your hair to dry naturally.
2. Conditioner without rinsing
This treatment coats and protects your hair even after blow-drying or setting. It closes the cuticles on the surface, where light is reflected. It is an excellent gel for curly or unruly hair.
- 15 g (1 tbsp) beeswax
- 30 g (2 tbsp) cocoa butter
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) almond oil
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) wheat germ oil
- 5 g (1 tsp) honey
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) rosewater
- 10 drops of essential lime oil
- 10 drops of essential lavender oil
- Melt the beeswax, cocoa butter, almond and wheat germ oils, and honey in a bain-marie.
- Gently heat therose water.
- Once both mixtures are lukewarm, mix them, whilst beating with a blender on low speed. Add the essential oils and continue to beat until creamy.
- Transfer to a pot, and store in a cool, dark place.
- Heat up a small amount of cream in the palm of your hand andrun it through dry or wet hair.
3. Tropical mask
Eggs are rich in proteins that give hair strength and shine. Banana is moisturizing, and avocado is a source of natural oils that soften and revitalize dry hair.
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 small banana
- 1 large avocado, peeled and pitted
- 15 g (1 tbsp) mayonnaise
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) rum
- Mix all ingredients by crushing to form a paste.
- Massagethe mask into dry hair, and wrap in a wet, very hot towel.
- Leave for 10 minutes, then rince and shampoo as normal.
Sun exposure: beware!
- Unlike skin, which is constantly renewed, UV damaged hair cannot repair itself.
- Excessive exposure weakens keratin and leads to discolouration, which is known as melanin oxidation. Hair becomes dry and its colour fades.
- When you are in the sun, wear a hat or protect your hair with conditioner.
- The sun, chlorine, blow-drying too frequently, and even applying heat, can lead to dry, damaged hair.
- Take care of your hair by trying the following these instructions and avoiding prolonged sun exposure, and your hair should shine again!