Cosmetic industry ads promise consumers a flawless complexion and perpetual youth if they use their products — but you can do just as well with quick, inexpensive and easy-to-prepare natural formulas at home.
- For a tried-and-true skin cream, beat one egg white stiff and add one teaspoon (five millilitres) of honey and three drops of almond oil. Beat the mix further to produce a thick, smooth cream that will keep in the refrigerator for three to four days.
- Alternatively, melt 50 grams (1 1/2 ounces) of beeswax in a hot double boiler and add 3 1/2 ounces (100 millilitres) of wheat germ oil and about 60 millilitres (four tablespoons) of elder flower water. Stir the ingredients, put the cream into a small porcelain container, and store in the fridge.
Facial oils for night use
Facial oils, when applied sparingly to squeaky-clean skin, soak in almost completely. When stored in the refrigerator, homemade oils last for about two weeks. All oils are made by adding ingredients to a small, dark bottle and shaking vigorously. They differ depending on skin type.
- For normal skin: blend about 50 millilitres (1/4 cup) each of jojoba and almond oil with five drops each of geranium, rose, lavender, chamomile and incense oil.
- For mature skin: pour 50 millilitres (1/4 cup) of almond oil, five millilitres (one teaspoon) of wheat germ oil and five drops each of incense, lavender and chamomile oil into a dark bottle. Shake well.
- For dry skin: mix 75 millilitres (five tablespoons) of olive oil, 10 millilitres (two teaspoons) of avocado oil and 10 drops of lemon oil.
- For oily skin: stir 50 grams (1 1/2 ounces) of powdered aloe into 40 millilitres (1 1/3 ounces) of distilled water and add 20 millilitres (two teaspoon) of orange blossom water. Set aside. Stir one teaspoon (five millilitres) of honey with 100 millilitres (3 1/2 ounces) apricot kernel oil in a double boiler. Mix all ingredients together.
- For sensitive skin: mix 75 millilitres (1/3 cup) of almond oil, 20 millilitres (four teaspoons) peach pit oil (from a health food store) and 10 drops of neroli oil.
After washing, spoil your skin — both morning and evening — with a cream appropriate for your skin type. A day cream will ward off harmful environmental effects. A night cream or oil should help your skin eliminate toxic substances and absorb nutrients. Universal creams can be used in the morning or evening.