Having oily hair doesn’t mean that you need to use expensive brands to keep it maintained. Try these easy, do-it-yourself recipes at home to keep your hair healthy and beautiful without breaking the bank.
- Make a lemon rinse by mixing one litre/quart of boiling water with the peels from two lemons and steep, covered, for 20 minutes. Strain and squeeze out the lemon peels thoroughly. Let the lemon water cool to warm before rinsing.
- To make a conditioner containing essential oils, which can help regulate the activity of your oil glands, mix 45 millilitres (three tablespoons) of cider vinegar with two drops of sage, juniper, lemon oil and 200 millilitres (seven ounces) of warm water. Rinse your hair with it, then rinse again with tap water.
- To rid your hair of oil and make it smell wonderful, make a vanilla rinse by mixing 100 millilitres (3 1/2 ounces) each of white rum and beer, two eggs, five millilitres (one teaspoon) of lemon juice, and two millilitres (1/2 teaspoon) of vanilla pulp. Massage into your hair. Rinse after 10 minutes and wash your hair thoroughly.
- A tea tree oil poultice will reduce oily buildup. To make one, mix 50 millilitres (1/4 cup) of almond oil with 45 millilitres (three tablespoons) of lemon juice and 10 drops of tea tree oil, comb through wet hair and leave on for 30 minutes. Rinse, then wash.
- Reduce oil production by applying an oil cure every 10 days. Mix 25 millilitres (two tablespoons) of jojoba oil and 10 drops each of juniper and tea tree oil, and apply to your dry, unwashed hair and scalp. Comb through, cover your hair with plastic wrap and a towel and leave on for 30 minutes. Wash your hair with a mild shampoo.
Herbal conditioner for oily hair
You will need:
- 5 ml (1 tsp) burdock root
- 5 ml (1 tsp) chamomile flowers
- 5 ml (1 tsp) sage
- 5 ml (1 tsp) peppermint
- 5 ml (1 tsp) lavender flowers
- 5 ml (1 tsp) rosemary
- 500 ml (2 c) water
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) lemon juiceMix the herbs and the boiling water, and steep for 30 minutes. Strain and add the lemon juice. Use warm and do not rinse out.