Having dry hair or dandruff doesn’t mean that you need to buy expensive chemicals to treat it. Try these natural remedies that will work just as well without putting a strain on your wallet.
Dry, stressed hair
- Avocados are outstanding sources of moisture. To make a deep conditioner, puree the flesh of one avocado and mix with two egg yolks and 15 millilitres (one tablespoon) of molasses. Knead the paste evenly into your wet hair and rinse thoroughly after 30 minutes. Apply once weekly.
- Bananas also make a nurturing conditioner. Mix one crushed banana with 15 millilitres (one tablespoon) of avocado and massage the paste into your hair and scalp. Cover your hair with plastic wrap and a towel, leave on for 20 minutes, then rinse hair with warm water and wash with a mild shampoo.
- Thyme protects your hair from drying out. To make a thyme rinse, pour one litre/quart of boiling water over 45 millilitres (three tablespoons) of thyme (fresh or dried). Steep for 10 minutes, then strain and cool to lukewarm. Apply after every shampoo.
Treatment for brittle ends
If the ends of your hair are dry and brittle, apply a moisturizing poultice or oil cure once a week after shampooing. It’s also a good idea to massage in some burdock root, olive or jojoba oil every evening and thoroughly rinse it out the next morning.
Those annoying flakes of dandruff are usually the result of an excessively dry or oily scalp and/or inappropriate hair care products.
- To make a dandruff-fighting rinse, mix five millilitres (one teaspoon) each of comfrey, rosemary and stinging nettle (fresh or dried) with 200 millilitres (seven ounces) of witch hazel and steep for five days. Massage into your scalp after every shampoo and do not rinse out.
- To make a stinging-nettle-based hair tonic, mix together 50 millilitres (1/4 cup) stinging nettle tincture and 150 millilitres (2/3 cup) water and apply directly to your scalp with a cotton ball. It should be applied only after every second or third shampoo.
- Apply a linden flower tea rinse 60 millilitres (four tablespoons) linden flowers in 500 millilitres (two cups) of water after every shampoo to eliminate dandruff.
- Make an essential oil remedy by mixing 15 millilitres (one tablespoon) of almond oil with two drops each of cedar, rosemary and lemon oil. Massage into your scalp. Rinse after two hours.