This is the recipe I have been using for Macaroni and Cheese since the beginning of time! Truly a classic and a staple on our family table. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. A great side dish to be served with my Meatloaf Barbecue Style!
– 2 tablespoons butter
– 1⁄4 cup flour
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
– 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
– 2 1⁄2 cups milk
– 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
– 8 ounces dry elbow macaroni, cooked according to package directions
– Melt butter in medium saucepan.
– Stir in flour, salt, mustard and pepper until smooth.
– Remove from heat and gradually stir in milk until smooth.
– Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until thickened (about 10 minutes).
– Remove from heat.
– Stir in 1 1/2 cups cheese until melted.
– Combine cheese mixture with macaroni in greased 2 quart casserole.
– Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
– Bake in 375 degree oven for 25 minutes or until lightly browned.
– Makes 6 servings.