This guide is perfect for regularly active people who are looking to add challenging new leg stretches to their routine. Check them out and build a leaner body with stronger muscles.
Perfect for people who:
- Are seeking to tone their abs, back and legs
- Are active on weekends
- Used to play sports but now lack the time
- Are seeking to lose weight
- Have experience working out
Try a lying rope stretch
This exercise stretches hamstrings.
- Lie on your back with a towel or tie looped around the arch of your left foot. Contract your left quadriceps (front of thigh) and pull the towel back, lifting your left leg as far as comfortably possible.
- Keep your right leg straight, or bend it slightly if your back or hamstring is very tight. Hold, then switch legs.
Complete a cross-body leg stretch
This exercise stretches glutes and outer leg.
- Lie on your back with a towel or tie looped around the arch of your right foot. Pull the leg off the floor as high as comfortably possible (you can bend your knee slightly if you need to).
- Then place your right arm on the floor and, using your left hand, pull the leg slowly across your body as far as comfortably possible, keeping your hips on the floor. Hold, then switch sides.
Butterfly: a technique you should know
This exercise stretches inner thighs.
- Sit on the floor with your back straight, your knees bent and the soles of your feet touching so your knees fall out to the sides. Grasp your ankles with your hands.
- Keeping your back straight (don’t hunch over), gently bend forward from the hips as you press your knees toward the floor as far as comfortably possible.
The right way to finish a lunge stretch
This exercise stretches fronts of hips and thighs.
- Stand with your feet together and place your left hand on a wall for support, if needed. Take a giant step back with your right leg, placing the top of your right foot on the floor.
- Gently bend your left leg and drop your hips toward the floor, pressing your pelvis forward until you feel a gentle stretch down the front of your right hip and leg. Hold, then switch sides.
Whether you’re practicing yoga or simply stretching to improve your flexibility, these stretches are necessary to complete any leg workout. Try them today!