These natural, old-fashioned home remedies and beauty preparations contain no harmful additives, smell delicious and are fresh with every use.
1. Fruit facial
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) mashed strawberries
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) organic natural yoghurt
1. Mix the strawberries with the yoghurt.
2. Apply the mixture to your face and neck, cover with a warm cloth and leave it for a few minutes.
3. Rinse with cold water.
Note: This is not suitable if you are prone to allergies.
Total cost: 25¢ per facial
2. Firming mask
- 2 carrots
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) potato flour
- 1 egg yolk
1. Finely grate the carrots.
2. Add the potato flour and egg yolk and stir thoroughly.
3. Wash your face and neck and immediately apply the paste.
4. Leave for 20 minutes.
5. Wash off with warm water and rinse with cold.
Total cost: 40¢ per mask
3. Ivy massage oil
- 1 handful of fresh ivy leaves
- 125 ml (1/2 cup) of wheat-germ oil
- 1 or 2 drops of rosemary oil
1. Put the ivy leaves in a jar and add the wheat-germ oil.
2. Seal and leave for two weeks in a warm place.
3. Strain through a fine sieve, add the rosemary oil, then pour the massage oil into a bottle and seal.
4. Massage into areas of cellulite using circular movements.
Note: Do not use rosemary essential oil if you are pregnant, have high blood pressure or suffer from epilepsy. Always consult a qualified aromatherapist if in doubt.
Total cost: $8 for a 2 to 3 month supply
4. Exfoliating body scrub
- 30 ml (2 tbsp) double or whipping cream
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) salt
1. Put the cream and salt in a bowl. Beat to a smooth paste.
2. In the shower or bath, gently rub the paste over your body using circular movements.
3. Shower or sponge off the body scrub afterwards.
Total cost: 20¢ per treatment
5. Moisturizing mask
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) lanolin
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) petroleum jelly
- 3 drops of chamomile oil
- 3 drops of geranium oil
1. Combine the lanolin and petroleum jelly in a bowl, add the oils and stir in until thick and creamy.
2. Apply to skin. Allow to absorb. Wipe off excess.
3. Transfer to a small jar with a lid and store in a cool place for future use.
Total cost: $1 for 3 to 4 masks
6. Mask for oily skin
- Juice of half an orange
- 120 ml (8 tbsp) flour
1. Squeeze the juice into a bowl and stir in enough flour to make a thick paste.
2. After cleansing, apply the mask with a soft brush and leave it on for 20 minutes.
3. Wash off with warm water.
Total cost: 25¢ per mask
7. Dry hair shampoo
- 1 egg white
- 2 egg yolks
- 5 ml (1 tsp) honey
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
1. Whisk the egg white and fold in the yolks.
2. Stir the honey, olive oil and lemon juice.
3. Massage the shampoo into the scalp and thoroughly coat the hair.
4. Leave for a few minutes and rinse the hair. Use plenty of water until all the shampoo has gone.
Total cost: 50¢ per treatment
With these easy recipes, you can have a spa day, and look and feel refreshed, without ever leaving your home.