Discover the pros and cons of a one-way car rental, and then six tips to help you book your trip and save money along the way.
One-way car rentals are a great way to get from one location to another, without having to return your car to its original location. But one-way car rentals can be hard to get.
Here are some tips to make it easier
1. One-way rentals are often restricted by province, city or country. For example, Hertz allows you to rent a car at one location and return it to any of their Canadian locations — but not their American locations. If you plan to drive to the United States, you will need to inform your rental car company so you have all the proper paper work to cross the border. It is always best to ask about any restrictions or special requirements before you leave on your trip.
2. Some rental companies are more flexible with one-way car rentals than others. Luckily, there are car rental search engines that will let you know your options.
3. If you can pick up or drop off at an airport, you will have a lot more options for a one-way car rental.
4. Book with a larger car rental company. They have the most drop-off and pick-up locations, which will make planning your trip a lot easier.
5. Check to see if there is a one-way car rental charge. Car rental companies charge a premium for one-way car rentals because they have to find a way to get the car back to its original location. So they charge a hefty drop-off fee, which means your car rental can get expensive, fast.
6. Don’t expect exact choices. Depending on the car rental company and availability, you may be limited in the class of vehicle you can rent. Use a rental car search engine to help outline your options. Then when you are ready to book, it might be a good idea to call instead of booking online to ensure you are reserving the type of vehicle you need for your trip.
7. The daily rate to rent a car one-way is higher than a normal car rental. So if your plan is to drive to a different city or town and then spend a couple days there — you might be better off returning your one-way rental as soon as possible, and then renting another car that can be returned to the same location.
Good luck and enjoy your road trip!