From synthetic fibre to natural hair varieties, all wigs need to be cared for. We’ll break down how to clean and maintain your wig so that your faux follicles always look their best.
Care for your wig with these 6 steps
- When you buy a wig, also invest in the correct accessories: a wig brush and comb, shampoo and conditioner, a proper stand, a wig cap, synthetic fibre spray, and lustre.
- Don’t be tempted to leave your own hair unwashed beneath the wig. Always shampoo your hair before wearing your wig, and wear a nylon wig cap to protect your wig from oils.
- Brush a wig lightly before washing it, then add a little wig shampoo to a basin of cold (never hot) water. Soak it for a minute until it’s thoroughly wet, and then rinse lightly for a further minute.
- Squeeze the wig out gently, don’t wring it. Blot off excess water with a towel. Place the wig back on its stand and wait for it to dry entirely before any styling. Condition the wig every few washes.
- After wearing a wig, brush it through. Always store a wig on its stand to help it retain its form.
- Make-up traces around the hairline can be removed by using a toothbrush to gently brush the affected area with soap and water.
Whatever your reason for wearing wigs, they’re an expensive investment. These tips will extend the life of your wigs and keep them looking great. That way, you’ll never have to worry about having a bad hair day again.