Cars are notorious for collecting clutter, dirt and unpleasant odours. The good news is that cleaning up doesn’t have to be complicated. These simple tricks will help you keep the interior of your car tidy and fresh.
1. Deoderize your car with baking soda
Deodorize the interior of your car by sprinkling baking soda over everything but the electronic equipment.
- Take a soft-bristled brush and work the baking soda in well.
- Close the car up for an hour or so.
- Thoroughly vacuum the interior.
2. Use coffee beans to keep things smelling fresh
Keep your car smelling fresh and clean by placing a small open container filled with freshly ground coffee beans where it won’t get knocked over. The grounds will absorb any strong odours you bring into the car like the smell of fast food.
3. Clean the dashboard with baby wipes and oil
If your car dashboard gets sticky from spilled drinks or greasy hands, clean it with baby wipes. Once it’s clean, you can bring a shine to the dashboard with a little baby oil.
4. Remove strong odours with vinegar
Use vinegar to help remove strong odours if a passenger gets carsick or spills a drink.
- Wipe down vinyl upholstery (all of it) with a cloth soaked in a solution of half white vinegar and half water.
- Place a bowl of vinegar on the car floor and keep the car closed up tight overnight.
- In the morning, wipe everything down with a damp cloth.
5. Carry a roll of tape in your glove compartment
Make sure you’ve got a roll of tape on hand in your car. You’ll be able to use it in a surprising number of ways.
- Tape your garage door opener to the underside of the visor on the driver’s side of the car. It will be handy, yet out of the way, and it won’t fall into your lap as you drive.
- Stick a pen to the dashboard just in case you need one; taping it will keep it from rolling around and getting lost.
- Attach permit stickers to the inside of the windshield instead of using the adhesive on the back. Taping will make the stickers easier to remove.
- Whenever you park at a busy shopping mall, temporarily tape a distinctive paper or cloth pennant to the top of your car’s antenna. When you come out laden with packages, you’ll be able to spot the car right away.
Follow these tricks and you’ll see how simple it can be to drive a sparkling and spotless car.