With the following five home remedies, you can quickly and cheaply combat dandruff and make your hair look great again.
Nothing can ruin your look quite like dandruff. Whether you’re on a date, at a party or at work, these little white flakes are annoying and unsightly. However, you don’t have to spend a fortune trying to get rid of them.
1. Lemon juice
The acid in lemon juice helps maintain your hair’s pH balance and neutralize the bacteria and fungus that can lead to dandruff.
- Just squeeze half a lemon into a cup and mix with equal parts water. Let this mixture sit in your hair for about 30 seconds and then rinse it out.
The main active ingredient in aspirin is salicylic acid, which is also the main ingredient in many leading dandruff shampoos.
- Simply crush a couple of aspirin tablets and add the mixture to your everyday shampoo. Rub the shampoo in and let it sit on your scalp for a minute or two, then rinse it out of your hair.
- It’s cheap, easy and effective for many dandruff sufferers.
3. Olive oil
Olive oil often works miracles on dandruff, penetrating and soothing the most irritated scalp with ease. There are also plenty of healthful antioxidants and vitamins in olive oil, like vitamin E and linoleic acid.
- The best way to apply olive oil is to rub it vigorously into your scalp, then to go to sleep with a shower cap tightly wrapped around your head. In the morning, simply wash it out.
- Make sure you give this procedure at least a week to produce results.
4. Baking soda
Baking soda has plenty of anti-fungal properties and consistent application to your scalp can kill off nearly all harmful fungi, helping to reduce itching and dandruff flakes.
- When you’re in the shower, first get your hair wet, then rub some baking soda deep into your scalp. Let it set for about 2 to 3 minutes and rinse it out with just water.
- After a few weeks, your scalp should be healthier and producing the oils it needs to keep your scalp well moisturized.
5. Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is known as an effective — and fragrant — substance for getting rid of dandruff.
- Simply add some to your shampoo, let sit on your scalp for a minute, then rinse it out. You may experience a slight tingly feeling, but that’s normal.
Experiment with these five solutions for fighting dandruff to see which works best for you.