The old saying goes that an apple a day keeps the doctor away, but eating plain apple slices day after day can become boring. Here are five ways to mix things up with tasty apple snacks that deliver a healthy dose of nutrients.
1. Apples and cheese
If you’ve never tried combining apples and cheese, then you’re missing out. This snack idea is the easiest way to elevate an apple to the next level. Simply:
- Core an apple and cut it into slices.
- Cut some cheddar or Monterrey jack cheese into slices, roughly the same shape as the apple slices and a half-centimetre thick.
- Place a slice of cheese over each apple slice and enjoy!
2. Baked apples
Baking an apple takes about an hour and gives it a slightly deeper, earthier flavour – delicious as a snack after dinner. To do this:
- Core the apple from the top, but leave about one centimetre of core on the bottom of the apple.
- Stuff the centre of the apple with brown sugar, butter and raisins.
- Stand the apple upright on a cookie sheet and bake at 175 °C (about 350 °F) for about one hour.
- When the apple starts to brown on the top and is soft, it is ready to take out.
- Allow the apple to cool slightly before taking a spoon and tucking in.
3. Apples and peanut butter
The combination of apples and peanut butter is a fast snack filled with protein, plus it’s super yummy. All you have to do is:
- Cut out the centre core of an apple. Cut the apple into six or eight slices.
- Place a spoonful of peanut butter on a plate.
- Use the apple slices to scoop up the peanut butter to eat along with the apples.
4. Dried apple chips
Dried apple chips are a healthy and delicious snack. They’re also great for school or the office if you get the munchies. To make dried apple chips:
- Cut an apple into thin slices about one-quarter of a centimetre thick.
- Place the slices on a cookie sheet and sprinkle them with cinnamon and sugar.
- Place the cookie sheet in the oven at 120 ºC (250 °F) for about four hours.
- When the apple slices start to curl up, they are done.
- Allow the apple chips to cool completely and then enjoy.
5. Apples and honey
The combination of apples and honey is a sweet way to enjoy tart apples.
- Core a good-size apple.
- Cut the apple into slices.
- Drizzle the slices with honey and then munch away.
Give these apple snacks a try and before you know it you’ll be coming up with creative new ways to pair apples with your favourite foods and flavours.