Renting a car for travel can be easy, but it’s smart to do a little research beforehand to ensure you get the best deal and avoid any hidden costs. To help you, here are four key things to keep in mind.
1. Extra drivers come at a price
Most rental car companies have contracts that allow for only one driver.
- If you plan on having additional people drive the car, you’ll likely have to pay an extra fee.
- This is usually a flat cost per day that is tacked on to the daily rate of the car.
- The extra driver fee can add up, but you want to make sure that the additional drivers are included in the contract or they won’t be covered by insurance.
2. Younger drivers cost more
If you or another driver is under the age of 25, most rental car companies will typically add on an extra daily fee.
- These fees can get quite expensive, even if the younger driver is only doing some of the driving.
- Some provinces don’t even allow drivers under the age of 25 to rent a car, so be sure to check with the company you’re making the reservation with beforehand.
3. Some credit cards cover insurance
Purchasing insurance through the rental car company can often be very expensive, so if you’re booking the car with a credit card, check with your credit card company about their policies on rental cars.
- Many credit card companies offer insurance that covers damage, which can save you a lot of money when compared to buying insurance coverage from the rental company.
4. Be mindful of pick-up and drop-off times
Some rental car companies charge an extra fee for late pick-ups or drop-offs, so be sure to call ahead and notify them if you are running behind.
- Many will waive the fee if you ask ahead of time, so it’s best to keep them informed of any changes in your plans.
Follow these easy tips next time you rent a car to save money and make sure you have an easy and hassle-free trip!