Shopping for a smart TV can be exciting, but with so many choices on the market, it can also be overwhelming. Consider these four key features to help narrow your decision when picking a model.
1. Wired vs. wireless connectivity
With a smart TV, you can bring the wonders of the Internet to your television screen. Whether you want to view your favourite TV programs, download movies on demand or surf the Internet on a bigger screen, these televisions let you make the most of your Internet connection and enjoy content online.
- If you have a wireless router, choose a TV with built-in wireless so you can connect to the Internet without using a cable.
- If you don’t have a wireless router, opt for a wired TV. You will still be able to access the Internet, but you’ll need to locate your TV by your router and use an Ethernet cable to connect the two together.
- Some smart TVs offer both wired and wireless connectivity, so if you’re unsure, opt for a TV that allows you to switch between the two.
2. Smart TV apps
Smart TVs come with apps you can use to access content and broaden your entertainment options beyond that of your traditional cable TV provider.
- Whether you wish to use apps to build your social network, catch up on the latest news, check out the weather forecast or access movies on demand, choose a TV with the most extensive selection of apps if you plan to use your TV as you do your smartphone or tablet.
3. Computer connectivity
Connecting your smart TV to your computer is now easier than ever. To access photos, music, movies and games from your computer through your large TV screen, look at the ports on your computer before you go shopping for a new TV.
- The easiest way to connect the two devices is with a high-definition multimedia interface (HDMI) cable, so look for a model with more HDMI ports than you’ll need for gaming and video-playback devices.
4. Supported streaming services
Supported streaming services let you get your fix of programs and movies at any time.
- Choosing a streaming service is not just a case of finding quality commercial content, but also figuring out which service best suits your needs.
- To make the most of the ever-expanding selection of TV shows and movies, ensure your TV is compatible with your preferred streaming provider.
It can be all too tempting to rush into buying a smart TV, but you could end up stuck with a sub-par device. That’s why it pays to do your homework and consider your options to identify the model that’s right for you.