A sleepless night can be enough to ruin your day. Luckily, these three plants may be able to help you rest better so you can wake up feeling refreshed.
Although the production of beer is its most common application, the use of hops in folk medicine is very old.
- Mainly used for insomnia and sleep problems, it is also known to calm anxiety and agitation, and promote sleep.
The effect of hops is often associated with other sedative plants like valerian or passionflower.
- Drink a cup of hop infusion, prepared with 1 gram (1/4 teaspoon) dried cones (female flowers), one hour before bedtime.
Like lavender, hops can also be used to make cushions for promoting restful sleep.
It may help insomniacs fall asleep faster, wake up less often during the night and generally improves sleep quality .
- Taking valerian helps to remember dreams. Unlike some synthetic sedatives, its side effects are very rare and it does not cause drowsiness or difficulty waking in the morning.
- Drink a cup of valerian tea, prepared with 3 grams (just over 1/2 teaspoon) dried rhizome, an hour before bedtime. There are also commercial preparations.
Traditionally used for insomnia (especially in cases of nervousness or anxiety), passionflower is particularly suggested for sleep disorders of emotional origin .
- Although its effects have not yet been extensively studied, some experimental data support its traditional use.
- It is generally used in combination with other relaxing herbs, such as valerian.
- For insomnia, drink 250ml (1 cup) infusion of passionflower, prepared with 2 grams (1/2 teaspoon) of leaves an hour before bedtime.
- For anxiety, drink 500 ml(2 cups) of tea during the day.
It can take several weeks before you feel the full effects of passionflower.
Precautions for use
- Stick tot he prescribed doses.
- Concomitant use of these plants and tranquilizers, sedatives or synthesis antidepressants should be avoided or be subject to a medical examination. If you take an anticoagulant, use passionflower only if advised by a medical professional.
- If taking valerian worsens your insomnia and / or causes the appearance of dreams of which you keep an abnormally precise memory, replace it with another plant.
- In case of depression, the use of hops must be under medical supervision.
- Allergic symptoms may occur when touching hops (dermatitis and respiratory symptoms in particular).
- In case of history of hormone-sensitive tumors or use of antiestrogen drugs, the use of hops is not advised.
- The use of these plants during pregnancy and breastfeeding is subject to the advice of a herbalist.
If sleepless nights are becoming the new normal for you, consider one of these three plants to help you get to sleep easily. Do not forget to check precautions beforehand.