Everyone loves the natural, wind-blown wavy hair look you get from a day at the beach, but you can achieve the same luxurious style, even if you can’t spend a day in the sea.
1. Sea salt spray
The reason waves form in hair is not actually due to the water or sun you encounter at the beach, but from the salt in the air.
- If you want to recreate the wavy look, purchase a sea salt spray.
- Apply it regularly after you get out of the shower so your damp hair dries as it would when you’re at the beach.
- You can make your own sea salt spray at home by combining warm water, Epsom salt, sea salt and a small amount of your own regular hair conditioner in a spray bottle.
2. Bedtime bun
If you don’t want to apply any extra products, one simple way to create beach waves naturally is to wear a bun to bed.
- Shower and wash your hair as you normally would.
- When your hair is damp, twist sections of your hair into miniature buns and secure them with bobby pins.
- Go to sleep on your wet hair, and when you wake up, release the bobby pins; the result will be natural, unkempt waves.
- To keep the waves in place during the day, add a tiny spritz of sea salt spray or regular hair spray.
For even, smaller waves, try braiding your hair when you get out of the shower.
- Creating one big French braid down the middle of your hair when it’s wet will create large, chunky waves, while several small braids throughout your head will create smaller, tighter waves.
- Allow your hair to dry completely in the braids overnight or throughout the day.
- When your hair is completely dry, take out the braids. You’ll want to tip your head upside down and shake out the braids, which will result in a head of messy, beachy locks.
- Finish with a bit of sea salt spray or hairspray to keep these waves in place as well.
- Because this method requires letting the hair dry, it requires some planning ahead to achieve the perfect look.
Remember, you don’t have to venture to the beach to achieve your ideal summer hair. Try these neat tricks at home to achieve the mermaid locks of your oceanside dreams.