Drunk or “boozy” brunches are all the rage these days. If you’re interested in hosting a drunk brunch for family or friends, these tips give you some ideas for making the event a success:
1. Keep it classy
Drunk brunches allow diners to imbibe and enjoy food, all while having the rest of a weekend day to relax and sleep off any tiredness they feel. Many restaurants serve drunk brunches on weekend days, but you don’t have to go to a restaurant to have one. In fact, there are some simple ways to host one in your own home.
- You may love whiskey and vodka sodas, but a drunk brunch might work best if you serve a limited variety of alcohol — and a classy selection of it.
- Try offering guests a choice of mimosas or Bloody Marys, two breakfast cocktails that contain lots of juice and hydrating ingredients so that people won’t get too drunk from enjoying them.
- Limiting the drink selection is also a way to keep costs down, since crafting two cocktail selections limits the number of ingredients or mixers you’ll need to buy.
- If you’re serving mimosas and Bloody Marys, pair the classy drinks with a well-matching food like crepes and blinis with savoury and sweet fillings.
2. Make it a potluck
Everyone has different taste buds, so encourage each guest to bring one drink and one food item for everyone to share.
- By encouraging people to bring something to eat and drink, you are ensuring that there is something they will enjoy there.
- It’s also a great opportunity to sample guests’ favourite drinks and cooking and a way to get to know a little bit more about the personalities of your guests.
- If guests need ideas, suggest a menu and have them volunteer for who is going to bring what. You’ll simply need to supply silverware, napkins, plates and mixers for alcohol.
3. Focus on fun and games
The weekend is all about playing, so make your drunk brunch an excuse to have fun.
- Offer guests a selection of beer, wine and liquor, and have brunch food on hand, like bacon, eggs, pancakes and more.
- Get some entertainment options out, like karaoke, Twister, board games and dance music.
When people start to drink, they let loose and have more fun, and you can make your brunch the perfect opportunity to have a blast. The best part of having a brunch party is that people have the rest of the day to sleep it off.