Go nuts with these two nutty recipes, one with peanut butter and the other with coconut.
No-bake peanut butter cookies
This amazingly simple four-ingredient recipe makes a delicious cookie that is both gooey and crunchy. Store-bought cornflakes provide the crunch.
Prep time 10 minutes
Cook time 5 minutes
Makes 8 dozen
- 250 g (1 c) sugar
- 250 ml (1 c) light corn syrup
- 500 ml (2 c) peanut butter
- 1 kg (4 c) cornflakes
- Place the sugar and corn syrup in a deep pot. Bring to a boil, then continue boiling for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add the peanut butter and stir until melted. Stir in the cereal.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto wax paper. Let set.
These sweet golden cookies make a great treat after dinner, at tea time, or anytime! Toasted sesame seeds give them a delicate crunch and a nutty aroma. The sesame seeds blend in nicely but add just enough interest in each and every bite.
Prep time 20 minutes
Cook time 22 minutes
Makes 3 dozen
- 1 bag (396 g/14 oz) sweetened coconut flakes
- 125 g plus 30 g (1/2 c plus 2 tbsp) sugar
- 45 g (3 tbsp) toasted sesame seeds
- 75 g (1/3 c) all-purpose flour
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 g (1/4 tsp) salt
- 1 ml (1 tsp) vanilla extract
- 1 ml (1/4 tsp) coconut extract
- Preheat the oven to 160°C (325°F). Place one oven rack in the upper third and one in the lower third of the oven. Cover two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine the coconut, 125 grams (1/2 cup) of the sugar, sesame seeds and flour in a large bowl; mix well.
- Beat the egg whites in a medium bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks begin to form. With the mixer running, beat in the remaining 30 grams (two tablespoons) of sugar until stiff peaks form. Beat in the vanilla and coconut extract.
- Stir a quarter of the egg whites into the coconut mixture to lighten. Gently fold in the remaining whites.
- Drop tablespoonfuls 3.5 centimetres (1.5 inches) apart on each baking sheet and bake until golden, 22 to 25 minutes. Transfer the cookies to a wire rack and cool completely.
One more notch!
Take these cookies over the top by drizzling them with 28 millilitres (one ounce) of melted semi-sweet chocolate after they cool.