If you’re a makeup newbie, here are 10 tips that can help you learn how to apply eye makeup like a professional.
How to apply eye makeup in 10 steps
- Apply a thin coat of sheer foundation or BB cream to the upper eyelid. This will help set your eye shadow.
- Always begin with light-coloured eye shadow, whether it’s powder or cream. Smooth the eye shadow over the entire eyelid, from the eyelashes to the arch of the eyebrow.
- Give depth to your eyes by applying a darker colour to the upper eyelid, starting from the inside crease of the eye and blending towards the outer corner.
- Create shimmer by brushing ivory eye shadow along the brow bone.
- Using a sharpened eye pencil, draw a line along the upper eyelid, from the inner to the outer edge, keeping the eyeliner as close to the eyelashes as possible.
- If your eyes are large and wide-set, you can also draw a line along the lower lid; run the eye liner along the lower lash line, from the inner to the outer edge.
- To create a sophisticated evening look, use liquid eyeliner along the upper lash line either over or instead of the eye pencil. Because liquid eyeliner is more difficult to master than eye pencil, you may need to practice beforehand.
- To open up the eye, apply a coat of mascara to the upper lashes, then the lower lashes. Use short strokes to keep the look natural.
- Add a second layer of mascara for a dramatic look or add false eyelashes to maximize the intensity
- Don’t forget to brush your eyebrows!
Grab your brushes!
In learning how to apply eye makeup, decoding all those makeup brushes is essential. These pointers will help you make friends with your brushes.
- Flat brush: use to apply powder eye shadow to the upper lid.
- Eye shadow brush: use to apply powder or cream eye shadow.
- Shadow blending brush: use to apply and blend powder eye shadow along the brow bone.
- Angled brush: use to apply powder or cream eye shadow along the upper and lower lash lines.
- Eyeliner brush: use to apply eyeliner in a fine and precise line.
- Foam brush: use to apply and blend powder eye shadow on the upper eyelid and the brow bone.
Psstt! When you’re through learning how to apply your eye makeup, don’t forget to clean your brushes with products specifically made for them.
The beauty salon, it’s bound to catch your eye!
If you’d like a few more lessons to help you perfect your technique or you’d like to treat yourself to a metamorphosis for an evening out on the town, make an appointment at the beauty salon. The beauty care professionals will take pleasure in showing you how to apply eye makeup. We’re guessing that all eyes will be on you now!